Monday, April 29, 2013

Made in the U.S.A. - READ Those Labels!

From: Earl Schmidt

I received a very interesting email from a friend named Denny Hodges whom I have known for over 40 years. He and I served together in the military overseas in the 1960's. He received this information from one of his friends and thought all my readers would find it both interesting and eye-opening. My wife and I are avid label readers and do our best to buy products made, produced or manufactured in the United States. This is getting a lot harder to do lately as most of the big box stores have gone almost entirely international and are importing more and more of their products from other countries. What was eye-opening for me in this piece was just how brainwashed we have become into thinking that a product made in China, or say, Mexico is cheaper in cost than the same item made in the U.S.A. Nothing could be further from the truth. Fact is, many items now routinely found on store shelves in shops like Bed Bath and Beyond or Wal-Mart are made in other countries and are more expensive than the American made equivalent. Read Earl Schmidt's piece and READ those labels.

According to a report by ABC News anchorwoman Diane Sawyer Costco sells Goodyear wiper blades for almost half the price that you will pay elsewhere and they are made in the U.S.A. What is also very encouraging is nearly all products in ACE Hardware stores are made in the U.S.A.

Did you know that there is no electric coffee maker made in the United States? Very few kitchen appliances [are made in America] other than the Viking brand. I have been looking at blenders available on the internet. Kitchen-Aid is at the top of my list because it is made in the U.S.A.

[I wasn't aware until lately that] Hallmark Cards are made in China and are more expensive! I have started buying my cards at the Dollar Store where they are 50 cents each and made in the U.S.A. Yesterday I was at Wal-Mart looking for a wastebasket. I found some but were all made in China for a cost of $6.99 each. I didn't want to pay that much so I asked the sales clerk if they had any others. She took me to another department within the store and there they were selling at $2.50 each. These were just as good as the Chinese-made product and were made right here in the United States. The same thing happened with a kitchen rug I needed. I had to look around but I found some made in America - WHAT A CONCEPT - and they were $3.00 cheaper than the overseas made brand.

We are all being brainwashed to believe that everything that comes from China or Mexico is cheaper. NOT SO!

I was at Lowe's the other day and just out of curiosity I looked at some hose attachments. They were all made in China. The next day I was at ACE Hardware and just for the heck of it I checked out the hose attachments in the store. They were made in the U.S.A. We need to really start paying attention. In our current economic situation every little thing we buy or do affects someone else - most often, their job.

My Grandson likes Hershey's candy. I noticed though that it is now marked "Made in Mexico." I don't buy it anymore. [This one flabbergasted me also since I lived in Pennsylvania for decades. Hershey products were a staple of the State and one of those items you thought would surely forever be made in Hersey, PA. The last place I would expect such an iconic product to come from would be somewhere outside of the country].

My favorite toothpaste, Colgate, is now being manufactured in Mexico. I have switched to the American-made Crest. [NOTE: Check the Crest label. Some of their toothpaste comes from U.S.A. & some from Germany - also other U.S.A. made toothpaste products include TOM's of Maine from Trader Joe's stores, Nature's Gate brand and Sensodyne].

You have to read the labels on everything. This past weekend I was at the Kroger grocery store. I needed some 60W light bulbs and a box of Bounce dryer sheets. I was in the light bulb aisle and right next to the GE brand I normally buy was an off-brand labeled "Everyday Value." I picked up both brand of bulbs and compared them. They were exactly the same except for the price. The GE bulbs cost more than the Everyday Brand. However, the thing that surprised me the most was the GE bulbs were "Made in Mexico" and the Everyday Brand bulbs were produced - you guessed it - in the U.S.A. at a plant located in Cleveland, Ohio.

So, on to the next aisle for my Bounce dryer sheets. Yep, you guessed it, Bounce costs more money and are made in Canada or Mexico. The stores Everyday Value Brand costs less and is made in the U.S.A.! I did the laundry and the dryer sheets performed just as well as the Bounce Free brand I have been using for years, but, now I can get the sheets for almost half the price. My challenge [to everyone]: Start reading the labels when you shop for everyday things and see what you can find that is made in the United States of America. The job you save may be your own or your neighbors! If you accept the challenge, pass this on for others to read and soon all Americans might begin to buy USA made products one light bulb at a time.

Stop buying from overseas companies [or from U.S. companies who have sold out and moved all their plants overseas] - you're simply sending the jobs and dollars over there.

2 comments:

Samuel Sloan said...

Make note: Products that have ingredients can be a bit tricky. Those ingredients may come from various corners of planet Earth but are all put together in the United States so the product will say Made in U.S.A. You can usually feel safe with this since all products made in America must pass rigid safety rules, laws and protocols. However, products made with American ingredients but manufactured in plants overseas may be worrisome since the laws governing the safety of how these ingredients are treated may be less stringent than facilities on American soil.

Mickey the Old Preppie said...

A month ago a friend sent me the Made in America story because he knows I go out of my way to buy American, as I try to buy from local hardware stores vs. big box stores.
Because I am also a fanatic about assessing the accuracy of something before passing it on, I did a little checking, just randomly the first two items that seemed easy to check. I went into a Hallmark store and found this: the first three cards I turned over were made in the USA. So I asked the clerk, who said that older cards were made in China, but the newer ones were made in the US. Then I checked on Colgate toothpaste, and found that it is made at their new facility in TN (I forgot the name of the town, but you can find it.) So, be careful. If I have time to check more, I will, but I will reward Hallmark and Colgate, not punish them. Mike G