Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Share the Wealth and Share the Burden

There are many, especially those on the far left of the political spectrum, who simply do not understand how the middle class can support a plan that would allow the rich and big corporations to pay less in taxes than they currently do. They view the middle class as "broke, white people" and completely ignorant of their situation believing that they have somehow been duped by the rich into thinking that they are tied to the hip with the success and failure of these "fat cats."

What some of my friends on the left fail to understand is that most in the middle class are not broke or going broke, and while the majority are white, those numbers are beginning to change with the so-called middle class now being populated by more and more people of color, particularly blacks, latinos and asian Americans. The other thing not understood well by these misguided souls on the left is that not only is the middle class's future fortunes linked to the success or failure of the very rich and big corporations, but so are all supposed classes of Americans, including that of the United States government complex. The old adage is true - "So goes the fortunes of the wealthy elite, so goes the fortunes of the country."

Some believe that the way to level the playing field is to tax the rich and large corporations even more. This is the case even though the individual rich, those having an income of $1 million dollars per year or more, and big companies, those making billions of dollars in revenue are already carrying most of the water for the nation to the tune of between 78% to 85% of the current tax burden, while a staggering 90% of Americans, even many working lower income and middle class Americans are paying no taxes at all. The remainder of the middle class, generally those making between $70 and $100 thousand a year, are stuck with the huge remaining 10% to 15% of the taxes collected.

If those on the left and right, as well as our own Congress and President were really serious about leveling the tax playing field they would get their spending under control and perhaps should consider this concept:

I believe that all working people, regardless of their status in society should be paying into their share of the tax burden. That is why I prefer a level playing field of a flat tax of no more than 15% for individuals and companies, remove all loopholes for individuals and corporations, remove all tax incentives and refunds, allow absolutely no deductions of any kind for any reason, remove tax exempt status from all entities, including religious and charitable organizations. If you make a dollar you pay 15% no matter who you are. If you are unfortunate enough to not have employment and are not making a taxable wage then you share the burden by doing a certain number of hours of volunteer services for your area where it is deemed to be needed the most for that particular community.

Enough of these class distinctions. It has been part of the reason for the ruin of every great society in history and it is happening in this society as well. If, as our founders proclaimed, we are all truly created equal then we all need to be treated equally and share the burden of society equally as well.

No comments:

Presidential Qualifers

Since the day that Donald J. Trump officially announced his candidacy for the Office of United States President back in 2015 his qualificati...